• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WTB: a few 3/16" crown staples

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered myself a fancy-schmancy Senco SFP10XP-A/D stapler as recommended by the illustrious kjkimball, and a box of 1/4" leg staples. But the 3/8" leg and 1/2" leg staples only come in enormous quantities, at enormous prices. So I figured I'd see if someone here has a smaller quantity they'd be willing to sell me rather than spending $168 on 40,000 staples, of which I'll use maybe several hundred.

All reasonable offers considered, but I'd prefer to be looking at $10-$25 worth of staples for each size.

Redtail

Reaction score
Ian:
I didn't use one staple in my Pitts wings. I used weights like Steen Aero lab does.
Made from two inch steel round stock about an inch and a half long.

Thanks

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've already debated myself on the different construction methods, and landed on staples as the best choice for myself. I was pro-weight for a long time, but some well-considered comments about the redundancy of having mechanical fasteners involved in addition to glue convinced me.

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Use the staples. You will need about 8,000. Ask me how I know:D

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 10k of the 1/4" staples on the way, and I figure 1/4" is the size I'm going to use the most of. I just can't see needing 40k 3/8" staples or 20k 1/2" staples (the only quantities I've been able to find so far).

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would buy some of each if that helps...

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Better than nothing, but we're still talking about splitting $260 worth of staples, which is pretty silly given how many either of us will need to use, of those boxes.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Will other brands of staples (that come in smaller quantities) work with the Senco gun? It's hard to believe that you can only buy these things in such huge quantities.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They'll be days like this...

You're gonna realize that there are quite a few things when building a plane from scratch that you'll be laying out a sizable amount of cash for... something that only comes at an "enormous price". That's where the term fancy-schmancy comes from.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mind paying enormous prices where I get the value of that outlay. I do mind spending money that is effectively flushed down the toilet, as would be the case here. It's not the dollar amount, it's that I have to buy 40k staples when I need 1000.

So no one has a spare box of 3/8" (or 1/2") staples lying around they'll sell me for less than $168 (or $90) plus shipping?

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're going to run into a lot of this; you just bought yourself a plane and you're building a biplane. Ain't too many people with this hobby and for the ones of us in it... as a friend of mine use to say "If you want to dance, ya gotta pay the band."

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You're an owner, builder & flyer, you should get used to flushing money down the toilet. 😎

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Cameron, I found those too. I don't know enough on the subject to know if buying off-brand staples is a good idea, or a good way to learn how to hate a staple gun. ;) Thoughts? I've worked with enough "off-brand" stuff in my life to be pretty leery, particularly for an airplane project.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You're an owner, builder & flyer, you should get used to flushing money down the toilet. 😎
Just made the preliminary phone call to install ~$5k worth of ADS-B Out in my new plane, I am well familiar with the concept.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Cameron, I found those too. I don't know enough on the subject to know if buying off-brand staples is a good idea, or a good way to learn how to hate a staple gun. ;) Thoughts? I've worked with enough "off-brand" stuff in my life to be pretty leery, particularly for an airplane project.
$10 or so seems a cheap and acceptable way to find out, no?

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Beej: right you are. The staples will probably arrive from Ebay sellers before the stapler, since it was backordered.

PittsM12: thank you. Hopefully no need, but if the Ebay staples are junk, I may ping you.

biplanebob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post #15:

Just made the preliminary phone call to install ~$5k worth of ADS-B Out in my new plane, I am well familiar with the concept.
as a new airplane owner......DON'T EVER add up the cost of hangar rent, insurance, parts, fuel, inspections, etc. and divide by the hours flown per year. You don't want to know the answer. :D

Bob

P.S. been there done that, I still have my airplane .....my wife does not know the number. LOL

Latest posts