• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Delrin slide, latch plate

Aerobaticorsu

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello,

I own a Pitts S-2a and intend to install the two place canopy.
I have everything except those two:

- Latch plate

- Slide delrin

If you have them for sale, let me know.
Fly safe.

Patrick

wminear

Reaction score
I purchased one from Aviat, it was like $350-$300 but they had them in stock. You have to shape the block for your canopy so it would probably be hard to buy one that had been used and just hope it fit.

Last edited:

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Given the poor history of that design, it is easy to guess that a used latch block will have enough wear that your canopy will fly off sooner rather than later. If you can't come up with a better latch design, buy that part new and postpone the loss of the canopy as long as you can.

Best of luck,

Wes

Aerobaticorsu

Registered Users
Reaction score
Good advice Wes ! Even if the latch is quite expensive, it is less than the canopy...

SSkybolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My Delrin was recently replaced and the latch would not move past center on the lock indicator. I slowly trimmed away material until I had full movement of the knob from unlocked to locked. When finished, I used zip ties and a loop of bungee cord to hold the knob in the fully locked position, just in case. When trimming the Delrin, make it a slow process of cutting where the latch is contacting the latch block and then work towards the locked position. I used a tungsten flat rotary bit to do the cutting. Go slowly and cut to move the lock a bit at a time.

Phil

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes...since you have a S1a with this system is there a better system than just replacing the block? Sounds like you might have something....

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect since it's a certified aircraft it would be difficult to make it "better"?