• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WTB Ellison TBI or Rotec

skyboltone

Reaction score
EFS-4 for Lycoming

PM and we'll exchange phone numbers.

jstreat

Reaction score
Just a Heads up!

The Ellison company has been sold. Website is being updated with new owner. Operation has moved to Calif. You can reach the new owner at 714-293-9787. He has a customer unit in his shop for overhaul at this time. I spoke with him last week. He plans on putting the units back into production. Including the version for the big block 6 cyl. with mods of course for higher flow rate.

JST

skyboltone

Reaction score
Just a Heads up!

The Ellison company has been sold. Website is being updated with new owner. Operation has moved to Calif. You can reach the new owner at 714-293-9787. He has a customer unit in his shop for overhaul at this time. I spoke with him last week. He plans on putting the units back into production. Including the version for the big block 6 cyl. with mods of course for higher flow rate.

JST
I'm glad to hear it's been sold to somebody who will keep it going. One hopes. So many STCs and other industry rights seem to fade into obscurity when the original ownership heads west.

On another note, the Rotec now is in a MK-2 version which has the regulator integrated into the unit instead of the being a separate piece as before. Also they have moved the idle mixture screw to the opposite side so that it won't be blocked by the throttle cable. AND, it's currently priced at about 43% of the Ellison. AND, it tolerates Mogas. Otherwise, with shipping it's about half.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You'll also get better pricing on the Rotec if you purchase it at AirVenture. Just let Paul at Rotec know ahead of time to bring one for you.

I haven't seen the new Rotec TBI with the built in regulator. Where can I see pictures of it?

I recently installed the Rotec TBI (separate regulator) on on my plane and love it so far!

-Glenn

Trevor11AC

Registered Users
Reaction score
Glenn mine is the new style. Dont have any pictures now.
Trevor
Rotec tbi on high compression continental c90

skyboltone

Reaction score
You'll also get better pricing on the Rotec if you purchase it at AirVenture. Just let Paul at Rotec know ahead of time to bring one for you.

I haven't seen the new Rotec TBI with the built in regulator. Where can I see pictures of it?

I recently installed the Rotec TBI (separate regulator) on on my plane and love it so far!

-Glenn
Your install is the inspiration for this Glenn. The current introductory price of the Rotec is about the same as a new MA4SPA. I haven't seen it either but here's the reply they sent to my e-mail query:

Firstly, if you haven’t already seen our website, please refer to: http://www.rotecaerosport.com/products/tbi/ – many of your questions will be answered at this site.

Rotec are pleased to announce the release of its new Mk2 series of TBI. Like the previous series the Mk2 range will continue to cover 34,40 and 48 mm diameter bore sizes at the same horse power ranges. Also the same variety of engine mounting will be retained, ie -R, -S, -2, -3, -4, -4/5. From the small VW right through to the O-540, we have them all covered.

The Mk2 series offers the same reliable performance and follows the exact same principles as the Mk1 series. The main differences are that we have now incorporated the metering regulator which was previously a separate item. On the Mk2 the fuel metering regulator is integral with the main throttle body.

We have also moved the idle mixture screw to the opposite side of the unit and away from the throttle cable thus making adjustment easier and more accessible.

We have also developed a different slide sealing system and the slide seals are now longer in length and captivated by roll pins as opposed to pesky start clips.

We have also added some etched decals around the unit to help the user identify the various functions and adjustments required set up and operate the unit.

The Mk2 series TBI is identical in its flange to flange length as the previous model, the new unit has been designed to be very compact and with the complete metering regulator now built in, yet the transverse length has only increased by a ¼”.

Our unit is almost identical to the Ellison which we tested and were impressed with. So we decided to make our own which we think is even better! Certainly a lot cheaper and spare parts are worth only a few bucks. Reason for this is, unlike the Ellison unit, we make the entire unit in-house whereas they shop out most of the job.

The Rotec TBI is a very simple system that works so well. Remember this system is NOTHING like the Aero carb or other Posa derivatives which are, to be frank, impossible to set up and downright dangerous.

The Rotec TBI is set up free, just organize your throttle and mixture cable. You will have full mixture control from a properly metered, single point mechanical fuel injection throttle body. The dynamic metering device is the secret, this constantly adjusts fuel pressure in relationship to engine power and fuel demand. The Posa types DON’T do this.

Auto gas is ok. Avgas is ok. No problems at all with auto gas, but you must keep the fuel lines covered with a sleeve to keep them cool and away from any potential vapor lock caused by excessive heat - our unit has the ability to clear vapor lock whereas the Ellison does not have a flow valve bi-pass like ours does. Our unit has a primer system built in which basically overrides the flow control valve opening fully which is great for priming and also for clearing any vapor lock. (Not that we have seen any to date nor have our customers reported any instances of VL) .

Gravity feed is ok too, but if you intend on doing aerobatics then you will need a simple low pressure fuel pump - either driven off the engine or an electric boost pump.

If while doing aerobatics your engine quits you would pull on the primer, this basically overrides and opens the flow control valve and allows fuel to enter the TBI unrestricted. Re-starting under these circumstances should be easy.

But the only reason the TBI would stop the engine is if it is stopped being fed fuel.

Please see a great example at: http://www.rotecaerosport.com/projects/tbi-projects/

90% of our customers do not use carb heat because the Rotec TBI does not have a tendency to ice. A demonstration of this can be seen at this You Tube link – [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4szv3ZBSJjw[/ame] - which is an Ellison throttle body being subjected to extreme icing tests. It should be noted that our unit is identical to the Ellison in all respects – except price!

The TBI can be safely used depending on the turbo configuration. Please see the following FAQ/advisory for more information on the TBI and Turbocharging: http://www.rotecaerosport.com/faqs/tbi-air-pressure/.

For more information / support regarding the TBI product, please go to: http://www.rotecaerosport.com/support/tbi-support/. Please note that our current TBI Installation Manual is currently being revised and will be available as soon as possible.

The Mk2 series is expected to retail at USD $899 per unit + $85 packaging/shipping (Total USD $984) but, for a limited period, we will be offering the Mk2 series at the introductory price of USD $789 per unit (plus shipping). All units come with full 12 months parts and manufacturing warranty.

You will need to provide your full credit card details, including the CVV 3 digit number on the back (sent over 2-3 separate emails if you wish) – Mastercard or Visa only accepted, address and cell number should you wish to proceed. Once processed, I will forward a receipt.

All purchases are direct from the factory in Australia.

Look forward to receiving you order. Due to stock flying out the door, current lead time is approximately 2-3 weeks from full payment.

Should you have any further technical enquiries, please contact [email protected] - they will endeavour to respond within 2 business days.

skyboltone

Reaction score
Isn't it interesting that they use Ellison promotional material to market their version?

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I did on my installation was to drill a roll pin hole 90 degrees to the one on the mixture control. This allowed me to re-position the mixture arm in a way that effectively reversed the mixture control operation. My throttle quadrants drive reversing bellcranks before transitioning to the mixture and throttle control cables which necessitated this change.

Last edited:

Trevor11AC

Registered Users
Reaction score
Another factor to consider. When I went from the elluso to rotec the rotec mk11 is about 3/8 inch shorter in height which could help in some cowls. I can get exact dimension if needed.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glen...can you highlight the benefits you have noticed of the Rotec over the carb? I still ponder if it's worth it for me to mess with since I don't have inverted tanks or oil in the Acro2. My carb is running good and if inverted is really only benefit I may decide to sell my new Rotec. Sorry if I've asked this question before but I just don't remember seeing a clear "ahh ha, that is better" reason other than inverted.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
1. Supposedly the fuel economy is better than on a carb... although I have no means of verifying that.

2. Supposedly the TBI is less susceptible to carb ice. I haven't had any need yet to pull carb heat, so that is hardly a verification.

3. I don't have inverted systems either, however with the TBI the engine will stay running using the fuel that is already in the line between the pump and the TBI. This is several seconds worth and keeps my engine running through slow rolls, point rolls, etc. without having to make them ballistic in nature. The engine will also keep running on the up and down line of a hammerhead. It would quit with the carb if my upline was vertical.

Latest posts