• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WTB Pitts S-2A or S-2B

TFesta

Registered Users
Reaction score
So as of now the only two S-2's I've been able to find are these two and aren't too sold on either.

From what I've read, I know the 1994 has previous damage from an off field landing and was repaired but I believe is missing some paperwork or something, and spent a few months in Mexico.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Single+Engine+Piston/1994/Pitts/S-2B/1744505.html

Also, I believe the '87 was for sale a few months ago for much less (I think somewhere in the 85k range) and this one will probably need recovering sometime in the coming years.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/PITTS-S-2B/1987-PITTS-S-2B/1359463.htm

If anyone has any input or other planes for sale either s-2A or B that would be great. Ideally looking for something turn key ready with the MT prop.

Thanks

ssmdive

Reaction score
Do a search on here. The 1994 plane was talked about and in this exact situation... Was it better to buy the rebuilt plane with DH or one for less that might need a recover?

Johnny White posts here and he commented. That might make the search easier

Here is one.

http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?t=10764

Last edited:

pigpenracing

Reaction score
The 94 was sold but I think was a very good plane.

acroguy

Registered Users
Reaction score
Looks to me like they're both overpriced (if it says "call" for price then, you can be sure, it's overpriced). The S-2 market either seems to be flooded with airplanes or you can't find one. Right now, they're not many on the market while 6 months ago there were plenty. Bide you time, a good one will come along. I use $85K as a max price point for S-2B unless it's really, really nice.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
If you are thinking of buying an S-2 that needs fabric, you should look at the price knowing that you will easily spend $30K for a high quality recover. If you plan to keep the airplane for a while and you have that depth in your financing, then that number is not a barrier.

If you are looking at an airplane that will need an engine soon, plan on budgeting $20K for a high quality engine overhaul.

I had my S-2A recovered 3 seasons ago and I am doing the engine now. About $55K into the airplane. Wouldn't sell if for less than $100K right now but I plan on flying it for a while.

If you are trying to apply economics to aerobatic airplanes, give it up before you go crazy. You either buy one with the money you have or you don't. And you do not need the perfect airplane, you just need "enough" airplane to be in the arena rather than outside and looking in.

Best of luck,

Wes

gmann750

Reaction score
The blue one is sold to a guy in Wisconsin. Johnny is helping me with Some other stuff and when we were talking he did tell me he knows of another B model coming up for sale. Give him a shout.

TFesta

Registered Users
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
It's nice to get a sense of price range from people who have been around these planes.

TFesta

Registered Users
Reaction score
If anyone knows of any a/c coming up for sale especially in the south west, let me know.
Just said goodbye to the last plane.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone has a different reason for wanting a particular Pitts model, but my choice would be a 180hp fixed pitch S2E. It was Curtis' favorite too.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day I saw two E's on Barnstormers... probably why you asked :)

Last edited:

TFesta

Registered Users
Reaction score
There are two nice E models, but I'm more interested in the one with the 200hp MT prop.
I just don't know much about them and don't know of anyone who would.

Flyboyeaa

Reaction score
I know alot about the s2e with the 200hp pm me if you want more info

NBellino

Reaction score
I have a perfect S-2B I have been contemplating selling, it's in Colorado. Give me a call 719-696-5508. Nick

NBellino

Reaction score
Yep, That's it!! Where did you find the pic.? That is in front of my hanger at 1V6.

Dano

Reaction score
It just took a little searching the the Aviationdb.com site to get the N-number and then I just Googled Pitts and the N-number and stole it from this site:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/15197137508/

I suppose I should give them some credit as he does have some nice pictures.

Very nice looking plane by the way!

Dan

gacnik123

Reaction score
This is one nice s2b. I see it all the time. It's in the hangar directly behind mine.. If a nice Pitts is what your looking for, don't miss this one.

Latest posts