• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

wtb pitts s1

CFox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking for pitts S1 long fuselage to buy let me know what you have

Martin Hill

Supporting Member
Reaction score

CFox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
55k for an S1S?

CFox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can get an S1T for that kind of money

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are the 55k S1T’s that are worth buying? Like Dan said pitts you either pay now or pay later. Lots of variables. There is a good looking C for sale on Facebook for 25k at the moment.

CFox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are the 55k S1T’s that are worth buying? Like Dan said pitts you either pay now or pay later. Lots of variables. There is a good looking C for sale on Facebook for 25k at the moment.
Nice S1T on barnstormers right now 59k

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That T is experimental. Gary Novak’s S1E is up for $59 it has a long fuse and lengthened cockpit with T wings. Very nice example of a pitts. A lot of the cheap S models are sparcraft wings as well. Not that they are bad but a consideration when buying. All Pitts are unique and the price varies accordingly. Maybe find a c with a nice long fuse and put the extra money into wolf wings. You’ll get a better performer for less.

Ddagasso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything is a compromise
If you expect to find a cherry S1S like Martin Hill seems to be selling for much less than 55k you might be looking for a while.

It does happen though, divorces and estate sales do occur

My experience was that to end up with the S1S I have, a safe capable and fun plane, my total expenditure was well over 55k. Perhaps I was unlucky or just fussy
Your mileage may vary
Dan

CFox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a reason that Pitts S1 for sale over 40k stay on the market for a long time in my opinion they are over valued. s1 come up for sale in the 30-40k range and get sold fast because that's a good value for them. you might find that one buyer who wants exactly an S1S that's restored and willing to pay for it but its like buying a show car you pay a primum for a garage queen but as soon as you start driving it the price value drops. I have had a few Pitts over the years all great airplanes all beautiful and flew great but haven't spent over 35k for one. like I said this is only my opinion and I wish all the best of luck selling that beauty. I'm sure it is a great machine

jdailey777

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a pretty good range in what was available recently not only in price but in builds. I wanted specific wings, gear, engine, and prop with low time and there was a cost for that. It was more than I was hoping for but I’m also happy with the decision to buy the one I chose.
nothing like going for a little fun anytime I want now ! Right now my s1s is worth every penny spent. Ask me in a bit if I feel the same hahah. Some how I don’t think it will change with all the fun I’m having

Cub822

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting conversation,
I’m just finishing up an exp S1S build.
I basically “inherited”
Frame
Fuel tank
Control surfaces
Wings
Engine mount
0360 core.
From there I’m into it, (not including 1500 hrs labor):
Covering -$2500
Engine (complete) overhaul- $20,000
Prop $2500
Fuel and injection system - $4500
Instruments/panel -$2000
And the list goes on…

50k seems pretty reasonable for a low time Pitts, you certainly couldn’t build one for less.

I can rebuild a wrecked super Cub and,
In today’s market sell it for $140,000
Takes about the same amount of hardware to make a Pitts fly as a cub,
Why the difference in hull value?

Another consideration - forced landing in a Cub you can put it down just about anywhere and live to tell about it.
Pitts, not so much.

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
but haven't spent over 35k for one. like I said this is only my opinion and I wish all the best of luck selling that beauty.
Practically nobody is building S-1 Pitts' anymore and the ones out there are getting very long in the tooth, with few people willing to invest in a quality rebuild/restoration. Mostly what you see for sale for the price you seem to want to pay are ~35 year old planes with original fabric and paint and in the well worn category. Nice looking planes with proper rebuild/restoration and not just a recover and paint job are getting extremely rare. No chance you're getting one for 35K. And a S-1T is not necessarily a better performer than an S-1S. Depends on weight and configuration. Good luck.

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Personal opinion only, but there’s almost always going to be a significant difference in quality between a $50K and $35K S-1S, but for the average Pitts flyer, the differences won’t be noticeable in the air. If you want pretty, you’ll need to spend the extra money, but pretty doesn’t necessarily mean it will fly better or have lower maintenance expenses.

I’ve never owned a high-dollar Pitts, because I’ve never been willing to have that much money tied up in one. My reasons for that are limited funds and I’m not enough of an acro nut to be willing to fly a Pitts and nothing else. Good mechanical shape and middling appearance have always been enough to scratch the itch for me. Fortunately, there are usually a number of airplanes that fall into that category, and most of them haven’t been flown hard enough, or even for very many hours, so operational and/or maintenance expenses have never been a major concern. I’ve been fortunate buying and having good success with engines that have gone through extended periods of disuse. Additionally, lower valued airplanes are less expensive for me to insure, so that also helps my budget, and I don’t like to fly without in-flight hull insurance, because I don’t want worries about a big expense from an accident to negatively influence my decision making if I believe the best safety option is to exit the plane or make an off-airport landing.

However, with all of that in mind, a freshly rebuilt beautiful Pitts for $60K is an absolute bargain. There’s a reason that new ones from the factory cost as much as they do. If a person can afford to buy a more expensive one, I recommend doing so. If it’s maintained in the condition in which it’s purchased, the added value will likely be recouped at resale, and there are few feelings as satisfying as having people tell you how gorgeous your plane is!

Mmalone442

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Grassroots said, most are projects of some sort. “Long in the tooth”. I bought what seems to be generally a good deal to me. A 48 year old C model with a 500 hr engine and freshly rebuilt prop, formerly owned by a pro air show performer and taken decent care of since then. Purchased for 25K and have invested around 6K since the purchase in absolutes. A tailwheel spring, new tires, tubes, all new guts for brakes from pedal to pad a totally new fabricated lower cowling as the other was held together with more AN hardware than aluminum. Rebuilt AS, Altimeter and the list of small items continues. Eventually I would like to find a deal on S wings and recover the fuselage. I’ll easily at that point have 45- 50K invested.

I think if you can get an S with an IO360, CS prop for 50-60$ sign and fly,,,you’ll have a deal.

Mmalone442

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check BS. Looks like what your looking for.
S1-S 29500$ posted on the 30th. It will go quick!

CFox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check BS. Looks like what your looking for.
S1-S 29500$ posted on the 30th. It will go quick!
thanks i just saw that one but i just bought one last week the search is over

ssmdive

Reaction score
I have a new 200HP engine on my S1S (~100 hours). Plane built by Dick Blather, symmetrical ailerons..etc, top wing redone by Jason Newburg, cowl and pants by Doug Dodge, factory long fuse. I'd never consider selling it for less than 50K. For less than that, I'd just keep it. There are just not many Pitts out there and the better ones are worth more than the average selling price... Now if one is "better" is subjective.

Latest posts