• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WTB S-2A Crossover exhaust

Aerobaticorsu

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to buy a crossover exhaust for my Pitts S-2A equiped with Art Scholl smoke system.
Please do not tell me the word Aviat as they are asking 5500 usd and 9 months ....
Where could I buy such exhaust?
Skydynamics do not sell them anymore...
Other companies are asking the OEM to copy....
Thank you for your ideas
Best regards

Fly safe

Patrick

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Looks like no ideas out there. I got mine from an individual who was taking his S-2A apart. You might have to call salvage yards to see if anyone has one on a wrecked S-2A.

Be advised that the factory option cross-over exhaust does not actually fit under the stock cowling. You have to add a bump in the front left below and slightly forward of the bump that is for the intake tube for cylinder #2.

I suspect that Sky Dynamics no longer sells the cross-overs to you and I directly because Aviat has contracted with them to be their supplier. But that's just a guess.

If your ship is N-registered you might try hunting down an FAA airframe DER in europe and see if they can do an approval of a 4 into 1 system for your ship.

Best of luck,

Wes

Aerobaticorsu

Registered Users
Reaction score
Thank you Wes,
You are right, Skydynamics may have been in contact with Aviat...
However it is not acceptable for a type certificate holder to ground a plane for 9 months to provide an exhaust.
My ship is not N registered, but F....
4 into 1 would great...without telling anyone...STC is too complex and expensive here....they could even ask for a test pilot...

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
are you looking to upgrade from your existing exhaust, or is there something wrong with your exhaust?

Aerobaticorsu

Registered Users
Reaction score
I’ m looking for an upgrade as my exhaust setup is very old and restrictive: it seems that the diameter is smaller than the exhaust ports of the cylinder....losing some horses in the story...

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
ah, ok, I was wondering if it just needed to be repaired.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
"However it is not acceptable for a type certificate holder to ground a plane for 9 months to provide an exhaust."

Well, it sounds like this is a convenience item, not an Aircraft-On-Ground situation. With Aviat a pretty small business, we are forced to live with their business model or switch to another brand. I have had to wait, AOG, for parts too.

That said, if any S-2A owner is grounded due to not having an exhaust, my original system is available.

Best of luck,

Wes

Aerobaticorsu

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hopefully I am not grounded...
Aviat does not have the jig....they have lost it....

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
of course they did. so when your exhaust is shot its time to throw the airplane away and buy an S2C.

cgzro

Peter Ashwood-Smith P
Reaction score
Isnt the A exhaust the same as the T? cross over 2 into 1?

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I am not grounded...
Aviat does not have the jig....they have lost it....
When I had my S2A with a crossover system, it was wore out and I sent it to Custom Aircraft to have them duplicate under the owner produced parts rule.
http://www.customaircraft.com/
They did a fantastic job and it was exactly like the original system. It cost $2500 a little over a year ago.

Tailwind

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes,
Did you switch to a Skydynamics system? I was thinking about trying to do either a field approval, or one time STC to switch our crossover system too the 4 into 1 system.

Dom

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
I was able to purchase a used factory cross-over system so there was no approval paperwork required.

There have been a few S-2B's converted to 4-into-1 on a field approval. A friend owns one. I would ask SkyDynamics what DAR/DER that they have sent folks to. That individual likely has a competency code on their DER authorization that covers exhaust systems.

Best of luck,

Wes

Aerobaticorsu

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello Dom,
Do not hesitate to let me know if you are going to switch from crossover to 4into1
My Y pipes are...wore out
Fly safe
Patrick

Tailwind

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Patrick,
If we do switch over to the 4 into 1 it won’t be for another year.
Dom

jrs14855

Reaction score
Vettermanexhaust.com. Probably the best prices, best delivery time and best workmanship available. Take a lot of pictures, make some sketches for dimensions and they will work from that.

N302JS

Reaction score
I have a Sky Dynamics crossover exhaust, it’s in good shape, came off a wrecked Pitts I picked up. Let me know if interested! Make you a good deal as it is just taking up space in my hangar.

Latest posts