• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

wtb: s1s, s1ss, or s1t

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
hiya - im new to this forum...

i just spent the week at tutima academy (tutimaacademy.com) doing the aerobatics proficiency training in an s2c with ken erickson - HIGHLY recommended! - and now i'm hooked. i wanna do competion, as a way of keeping in it, and am looking to buy my first Pitts.

btw, i currently own a turbo Mooney (mostly all IFR XC), and tow gliders in a Pawnee. i also fly gliders.

before the class i thought i'd want an S2 - and maybe I will someday - but now i'm thinking S1S or better. (btw, the s-1-11b is very tempting, too, but one owner talked me out of it for a first Pitts)

here's my current wishlist:
- wing: roundwing, 4 ailerons, SS prefered - the faster roll the better. opinions on Ultimate wings or other wing variants?
- engine: AEIO-360 or at least IO-360 preferred. ive seen some O-360's with pressure carbs, which is curious - opinions? any prefs on inverted oil systems, Lyc, Christen, others? basically i want a motor that can handle snaps and other gyros. does that mean AEIO only or are there other ways to get there? solid flange, for example, but what else?
- prop: lightweight composite would seem easier on the engine. metal the hardest. CS not required - Ben Freelove thought that extra weight in the S1T spoiled the balance.
- gear: i like the look of the RV-style spring gear and hear it's easier. all my tailwheel time is with steerables, fwiw.
- paint: ok, this seems minor, but i've always wanted the classic sunburst red / white Pitts. other great schemes are the blue/white/red that Tutima has on their s2's. also, i love the red with black/white swirling checkerboard ive seen on 11b's, eg aviats site.
- experimental is fine, almost preferred, really. that said, it's gotta be extremely well done - imho you can. tell a lot by the cockpit how much skill and care were applied...

any tips / opinions on buying, what to watch out for, what to get / not get, and any leads would be appreciated. right now there are a couple on barnstormers, but theyre in canada, which could be a pain and take a while to get through the bureaucracy.

thanks in advance,

--jdm

John Miller
Mooney N4087H
KHIO, Portland, OR

Latest posts

Back