• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wtb s1s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hova

Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking to buy an S1S in the $30k+/- range. Mechanical condition more important than cosmetics.

I already have one that doesn't fly so I only want an airworthy airplane, not interested in your project.

Don't direct me to Paul's thread, he wont put it back together for me even though I'd really like that airplane :p. Not interested in a C since I want to fly more than just Sportsman (unless the price is really good). And don't tell me to check barnstormers, if its on there I've already contacted the seller or its out of budget. Just seeing if anyone here has something they might be thinking about selling to a good home or might know someone who's looking to sell.

Willing to go up a little in price for the right plane.

jmorgan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Don't folks not think highly of Sparcraft wings? There are a few S1's with them for sale right now.

Not trying to be demeaning to Sparcraft. I'm actually curious.

Bond007

Registered Users
Reaction score
Sparcraft wings are total junk,say as far away from them as possible,and don't stand under any Pitts with those wing while it's going Aerobatic,or you may get hit by flying parts
Danny007

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Sparcraft wings are total junk,say as far away from them as possible,and don't stand under any Pitts with those wing while it's going Aerobatic,or you may get hit by flying parts
Danny007
You need to learn to say what you really think. All that repression is bad for you. :D

jmorgan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hahaha Danny I remember you telling me that I was trying to be political about it...although I was hoping you'd chime in :D

Bond007

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hey Rob,just hate to see people spend there hard earned money on a Pitts with those wings,and then come into my shop,only to be told they have a nice looking pitts go-kart,that needs new wings to ever fly again
Danny007

Bond007

Registered Users
Reaction score
This is what sparcraft calls a compression rib.2 pieces of plywood glue together.
You be the judge
Danny 007

IMG_20160115_093054599.jpg

Hova

Reaction score
So should you take stick built wings in 50 year old fabric that's shrunk and cracked ribs over 20 year old sparcraft wings with warped ribs?

Bond007

Registered Users
Reaction score
That's the big problem with alot of the Pitts fleet today.They are all getting old,and will need,major repair soon.
In most cases u are far better off to pay more money for a used Pitts that has been gone threw ,then the cheap old deal.U will save a pile of money and get to fly more.
Danny007

Bond007

Registered Users
Reaction score
Sparcraft wings do have there place in this world.On a cold winter night,they come in handy as fire wood
Danny007

HeloPitts

Registered Users
Reaction score
hey Hova, Im located in Scottsbluff and there is one forsake in rushville Nebraska, which is about a 40 min flight north of me. Its on Barnstormers It has a IO-320 but Ive never seen the plane before.

but apparently rebuilt in 2002

Last edited:

Matt-

Reaction score
This is what sparcraft calls a compression rib.2 pieces of plywood glue together.
You be the judge
Danny 007
I was beginning to think the sparcraft wing thing was overblown, but that is the first real piece of photograph evidence I have seen.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Danny,

I'm not a fan of Sparcraft wings but,,, it looks like someone left out important parts from that wing. Or maybe they figured two ribs glued together was as good as the two 1/2 x 5/8 compression members that were supposed to be there. I wouldn't have Sparcraft wings on my airplane by choice but if they're built properly they don't just fall apart right away.

Sparcraft Wings.jpg

bikeaddict

Reaction score
I have Sparcraft, they are fine. Looks like that pic is missing some parts and a cat or a squirrel pissed all over the wood

TFF1

Reaction score
Probably one of the original ones; I don't see any vertical stick fixes.

Matt-

Reaction score
Danny,

I'm not a fan of Sparcraft wings but,,, it looks like someone left out important parts from that wing. Or maybe they figured two ribs glued together was as good as the two 1/2 x 5/8 compression members that were supposed to be there. I wouldn't have Sparcraft wings on my airplane by choice but if they're built properly they don't just fall apart right away.

View attachment 25495

I was wondering about that rib, thanks for the drawings Bill.

bikeaddict

Reaction score
Wow, what a crock of ****, Bond007. You just trashed my airplane ad with a rant about Sparcraft wings with a picture of a set that clearly were not put together correctly. Mine look like furniture inside and Im perfectly happy to hang inverted from them and pull Gs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.