• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: SA-100 Project

motosix

Reaction score
I am looking for an single place biplane project, and prefer a SA-100 Starduster project in pretty much any condition.

Price more important than most anything else; I am looking for a learning project although the intent is to get it flying. PM with pics and details.

(I don't see them come up too often, so I am going to start a thread to bump from time to time)

Last edited:

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Motosix There are less than a dozen guys that are working on SA-100s, most are rebuilding existing airplanes, I do not know anyone other than my old friend in Lake Havasu that is scratch building a single place Starduster. I have not heard from him in a long time so he may no longer be with us, and he started it back in the late 60s! My airplane was started back in the early 80s, and has been owned by at least a half dozen people since then, the guy I bought it from acquired it for the engine, and had it for 8 yrs doing nothing else with it! There was a guy in Montana that had one that needed some rebuilding, with an engine and everything, and it could be had for around $ 10,000 grand, I may have his number or E-Mail somewhere? If interested let me know and I will try to find his information. Dave

Last edited:

Dana

Reaction score
I had pretty much decided to rebuild mine myself, after getting over my initial disgust I was starting to look forward to it... I really do like the plane but selling it would get me back into the air a lot faster... worth discussing anyway, PM sent.

TFF1

Reaction score
Because I have a Sarduster I would want another, but finding a project will be hit or miss. Mine was two hangers down and forgotten. The forgotten part is what I really bought. It could have been a S-1C, a Smith but it also could have been a Baby Ace or a Baking Duce. I just happened upon it. I wanted a biplane but that was just the lucky part. Lots of good projects out there.

motosix

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses guys.

Will - Good suggestion. I am located in Denver, CO.

Dave B -- I follow your build thread in great detail and it is worth its weight in gold. This forum is one of the last great biplane resources.

Dana -- I'll get back to you via PM.

While an SA-100 would be ideal just because I am fond of them, I have been looking at pretty much all small biplane projects I can find. A Pitts that I could put a top wing tank in would even work, so I am not stuck on pure aerobatic bird. Like TFF1, I am open to most any forgotten project that fits within my finance window.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses guys.

Will - Good suggestion. I am located in Denver, CO.

Dave B -- I follow your build thread in great detail and it is worth its weight in gold. This forum is one of the last great biplane resources.

Dana -- I'll get back to you via PM.

While an SA-100 would be ideal just because I am fond of them, I have been looking at pretty much all small biplane projects I can find. A Pitts that I could put a top wing tank in would even work, so I am not stuck on pure aerobatic bird. Like TFF1, I am open to most any forgotten project that fits within my finance window.

Why?

Jack

Reaction score
The Starduster is my favorite. I don't blame you for wanting one. The one that was sold in colorado recently was the steal of the year. You could tell underneath that dust was a gem.

motosix

Reaction score
Why?

Jack
Hi Jack -

Range.

The fuel stops in this part of the world can be a bit longer and/or difficult to reach with our mountains. I don't expect to ever turn a Pitts or the like into a cross country machine, but I'd like to be able to do a bit more than fly 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back.

motosix

Reaction score
The Starduster is my favorite. I don't blame you for wanting one. The one that was sold in colorado recently was the steal of the year. You could tell underneath that dust was a gem.
That Starduster was/is perfect, and is flying again thankfully.

I hope to get down there to check it out one of these days just so I can see a good example of a SA-100.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Jack -

Range.

The fuel stops in this part of the world can be a bit longer and/or difficult to reach with our mountains. I don't expect to ever turn a Pitts or the like into a cross country machine, but I'd like to be able to do a bit more than fly 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back.

I wouldn't think the Pitts much different than any other small biplane. Does the little Duster hold more gas?

Whatever, understood.

Thanks,

Jack

Dana

Reaction score
I wouldn't think the Pitts much different than any other small biplane. Does the little Duster hold more gas?
Mine holds 27 gallons, 18 in the fuselage and 9 in the wing. And a useful baggage compartment.

Reaction score
Range is relative. I have a two hour butt, plus part of the adrenaline infusion in a small biplane is frequent take offs and landings.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
(Quote) Dave B -- I follow your build thread in great detail and it is worth its weight in gold. This forum is one of the last great biplane resources.

Motosix I to feel that this place is the last vestiges of the true home builder, especially with all of the kit airplanes, and fast build kits. With out them of course there would be much fewer flying, so there is some benefit.

As for my SA-100 build I always wonder how many actually read and keep up on my meager progress, and it is nice to actually see someone I had no idea was doing so. Many of my friends here on this site indulge me from time to time, so you never really know who you might have touched or inspired.

Its just like all of the building advice and welding I have done as well as rides and check outs I have given for others, one never knows who may be the next pilot or builder? Dave

Last edited:

Homer Jay

Reaction score
I am not familiar with this plane, just saw the ad on barnstormers

STARDUSTER ONE PROJECT LSA • $5,000 • FOR SALE • Damage to one wing, tail, LG in off airpt ldg. LSA, O-290G, 400SMOH, no prop strike. elec, com, xpdr • Contact Dana Hague, Owner - located Clinton, CT USA • Telephone: 860-575-3769 . • Posted September 25, 2017

Link

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1300365_Starduster+One+project+LSA.html

TFF1

Reaction score
Thats Dana's plane on Barnstormers.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine holds 27 gallons, 18 in the fuselage and 9 in the wing. And a useful baggage compartment.

As I recall a Pitts has 20 in fuselage and I forget how much in CS. I never cared that I didn't have more than 20 w/O320. Smaller engine would give close to 3 hours plus, way more than my Butt limit as KT says.

Jack

Latest posts