• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WTB: SD-8 alternator.

Anthos92

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi All,

As the title suggests, I am looking to buy a B&C SD-8 alternator and associated regulator for a Lycoming. I know these retail for about $550 new but I thought I'd see if anyone on here has one they want to get rid of first.

Cheers,

Cookie

Eric_Anderson

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Do be sure that you have the clearance for the installation. My engine lacked the gearing at the vacuum pad. Adding it for the Sd-8 didn't leave enough clearance to install.

Dennis Flamini

Reaction score
Cookie,
You will need the drive gear housing or the vac pad inverted oil adapter.
You may also need longer studs, they are almost impossible to remove from the case.
It all fits under stock mount.
Comes closer to $1000 than $500.

Pitts engine hook up 1-1-16 003.jpg

Last edited:

Anthos92

Registered Users
Reaction score
Cookie,
You will need the drive gear and housing and the vac pad inverted oil adapter.
You may also need longer studs, they are almost impossible to remove from the case.
It all fits under stock mount.
Comes closer to $1000 than $500.

Thanks for the info Eric and Dennis.

I didn't realize at the time of posting that I would need to reinstall the gear drive mechanism. If only someone built an alternator that eliminated the need for the vac pump drive!

Should something like this be ok? Then I would just have to locate a drive gear from somewhere and a washer.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/vac2pumpadapt.php?clickkey=4430530

Regards,

Cookie

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you are using a Bendix mag with an impulse coupling on the right side it can be difficult to get the mag timed as the anchor lug on the Bendix mag limits your adjustment due to interference with the hose fitting on the B&C adapter. A Slick mag or non impulse Bendix mag clears just fine.

Eric_Anderson

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Eric and Dennis.

I didn't realize at the time of posting that I would need to reinstall the gear drive mechanism. If only someone built an alternator that eliminated the need for the vac pump drive!

Should something like this be ok? Then I would just have to locate a drive gear from somewhere and a washer.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/vac2pumpadapt.php?clickkey=4430530
Yep, that's the one. But you may not need it. I am away from my airplane so I don't quite remember what my issues were. But as I recall my inverted oil system was plumbed in a way that didn't use the vacuum accessory pad. I think my issue was that I didn't have the gear to drive the SD-8. (Maybe the engine never had a vacuum pump?). I could have made it work. But the clearance was just so tight. If I had wanted the charging capability badly enough, I could have made it work without hanging the engine and loosening the mounts. But I didn't and B&C was happy to take it back so I gave up. I don't recall that the mag was an issue in my case. B&C has a couple of excellent install guides on the website which make it pretty easy.

Latest posts