• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB steen aero lab inspection covers

EAGLE811SE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of 30-40 steen aero lab inspection covers. I didn't think ahead of time to order them and I'm just days away from sending my wings off to get covered and I can't find any for sale.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks Steven

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
that's a lot of inspection panels! I'm sure you need the entire assembly, not just the cover panel itself? I have about a dozen of just the covers as I made mine out of CF. I don't have any spare "guts" though.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he just needs the rings for now.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had the same issue. I only had about a dozen. I put those in the fabric. Waited 4 months and still not in stock - rare as rocking horse crap. I decided to do the others with these, but I modified them:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/de-nonslipcovers.php?clickkey=4753

Mod: I didn't like how they were very difficult to get on and off - a problem with a nice paint job. So, where the rivets hold the tang in place, I drilled them out and riveted in 2 x #6 nutplates, will use 6x5/8 machine screws to hold them down. Now they clamp down tight, and loosen well enough to easily remove. The nice thing is, they are cheaper than the flush type, and they must weigh only 20% of what the flush plates weigh, because the flush plate mounting spider inside (the guts) is surprisingly heavy - multiply that by about 35 of them.....

Tip: If still going the flush plate route, do not use the regular mounting rings, the flush plate has its own sized ring.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
30 to 40! Inspection covers.. What are you doing with that many! ;-)

Last edited:

littletootpilot

Registered Users
Reaction score
I used the same covers but instead of nut plates I used Rivnuts and stainless steel screws with nylon washers under the heads of the screws so not to scratch the paint.:D
worked great never had an issue with them and really easy to get off with out scuffing the fabric

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I used the same covers but instead of nut plates I used Rivnuts and stainless steel screws with nylon washers under the heads of the screws so not to scratch the paint.:D
worked great never had an issue with them and really easy to get off with out scuffing the fabric
Seems you had the same logic as I...

I too, plan on nylon washers under all screws on the plane, but how long the policy will last, I don't know. Probably all goes out the window on the first annual :D:D:D

EAGLE811SE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
THanks for you help guys I really just need the ring for now so I can get the wings covered

littletootpilot

Registered Users
Reaction score
Seems you had the same logic as I...

I too, plan on nylon washers under all screws on the plane, but how long the policy will last, I don't know. Probably all goes out the window on the first annual :D:D:D

I always had extra nylon washers around. in the 10 yrs I had the toot flying I never put screws back on with out the washers. wanted to keep the paint from getting messed up.
its just a habit to get into. I will do the same with my skybolt.

Latest posts