• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WTB Throttle Quadrant

pittscondor

Reaction score
I would like to change my throttle quadrant out to a "slimmer style" to allow more room to get full aileron input. I have seen this style and wonder if anyone knows where I can buy this or maybe you have one you would sell. I took these pictures at Oshkosh this year. Sorry they are displayed sideways.

photo (9).JPG

photo (10).JPG

TFF1

Reaction score
I believe those are the make your own versions from the plans. One stock; one modified.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Those are pretty much the stock throttle system for a Pitts. The pivot bolt goes through a bushing/washer that is welded to the fuselage. The sheet metal part is easy to fabricate, both that part and the throttle arm should be available from Aviat if you can stand the cost (the pivot bushing needs to be in the stock location for the cover to fit properly).

Here's a blurry view from the back side;

Scan0039_crop.jpg

Last edited:

pittscondor

Reaction score
Thanks for rotating the pictures for me. Here are a couple of pictures of my current set up. There are 2 bushings welded to the fuselage but not sure if I could re-use one of them for the stock set up. Mine is about 1.5 inches wide and my leg rests against it reducing the area available to get full left stick.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

taff

Supporting Member
Reaction score
An idea,
if you reposition the mixture in the instrument panel you could reduce the width of the quadrant and a couple of shorter screws could complete the slim style.
Or use the existing pivot weldments and make a real flush style lever. That would require you making a face plate that clamps to the tube. But without welding on a tab or two the face plate could be a little sloppy?

photo%202.JPG

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the stock throttle pivot is there so I'd use that. Maybe the bracket for mixture is there too? The locking T-handle control is in the McMaster-Carr catalog or you could use a vernier push/pull cable there.

Image X_5-wet_a_crop.jpg

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
Your post #5 shows you already have the T-handle in the plans location. Is it being used?

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Good catch Jerry, I missed that.

pittscondor

Reaction score
Jerr888,
The "T" handle down by the floorboard it is currently being used for alternate air.

I think I can easily move the mixture to the panel and put a vernier control cable. I may try Eric suggestion and skinny up my current set up. I do like the factory setup the best as it gets everything out of the way completely.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a similar bracket on the other (right) side or the cockpit? That's normally the alt air's T-handle location.

Image X_6-wet_a_crop.jpg

pittscondor

Reaction score
Yes, There is a similar bracket on the right side. I have already moved the switch that was in this location to the panel. So I can easily move the alternate air to the right side.

IMG_3963.jpg

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Perfect! Now all you have left to do is the work......... :)

gc737ng

Users
Reaction score
See if you like this... is a throttle that I built for me, but I no longer need.
The lever is built as per Aviat plans, and if your pivot is to, should be fit.
The button is for PTT purpose, If you don't need it, you can use the old style standard ball.

My mail is [email protected]

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

pittscondor

Reaction score
Does someone have a copy of the plans showing the throttle lever they could post? I may try making one myself to save a few $$.

Thanks,

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts