• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

WWI item of interest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting to be an old codger and am getting rid of stuff. No u haul behind a hearse. I have an egg coddler. It is silver plated, made in England around 1915 by a company by the name of John Round and son. The stamping of the company logo on the bottom is interesting. There is a fancy name for logo but can't think of it right now. An egg coddler is an egg shaped container about 14 inches tall with a lid and a rack inside that barely holds 4 eggs. Add a little water and add alcohol to the burner and torch it off. The eggs are steamed and come out "boiled". What is cool about it is the engraving on the top. See photos. The first name is P.R. Risley. I cannot find him with about 30 minutes searching. The other name is Captain Sanday. Look him up, he is all over the internet. He was a WWI ace in the RAF. So this coddler was a gift to Risley from Sanday. There is a mystery there. There is another mystery that we all can probably agree upon. An heir left England for the U.S. and over time the significance was lost and it was sold.
I was fortunate to see a presentation by Andy Parks at a QB meeting at the Anacortes hangar about 7 years ago.
Andy is incharge of the WWI museum in Colorado. His growing up is a story in its self. And he was wearing an authentic WWI pilots uniform. I thought Andy would like it for his museum but I think no. I will probably list it on ebay someday. I have a neat photo of some friends at my table eating eggs and drinking Irish Whiskey. I call it "Old Codgers eating Coddled Eggs".
Anyone know how P.R. Risley was tied to the Captain. I assumed he was a fellow pilot but there would probably have been a rank on the lid. Maybe the P.R. stands for Pamela Ruth.

Will
egg coddler 001.JPG
egg coddler 001.JPG
egg coddler 002.JPG
egg coddler 004.JPG
egg coddler 005.JPG

Latest posts

Back