• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Yaw (rudder) trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trex

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for information on yaw (rudder) trim. I've been working on rigging my Firebolt 540 but I still have a yaw issue. The wings are now rigged, the wires are tensioned using a precision tensiometer and no wires vibrate below 200 mph, and roll trim was (almost) fixed today with a balsa wedge (see different thread if interested). Now, all that remains is yaw/rudder trim. Any suggestions for this?

I should mentioned that for one test flight the two ailerons on the left were not perfectly trailing the wings. This added quite a bit of drag (one aileron slightly deflected up, the other slightly down) and made the aircraft yaw more to the left. The four ailerons are now trailing the wings very well but the aircraft still yaws to the left. I fly it with a heavy right foot, which is less than optimal.

What is typically used to cure a yaw issue? A bent aluminum tab? A trailing-edge wedge? Anything else? I have no bungs in the rudder for attaching an alu tab; is there a different way to attach one? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Trex

Latest posts

Back