• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Zach's Pitts Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wzm

Reaction score
Back in late December, I started building a Pitts S1. I began with Aviat plans, and originally planned on building a completely plans based S1S, before jmorgan put up a Wolf wing rib kit in the classifieds here, which I bought from him and began work on earlier this month. I'm now leaning towards a Wolf tail to go with the wings, but keeping an upright seat back and plans style gear.

The fuselage tubing came from VR3, which has been a huge time saver. I actually built a set of S1S ribs before moving over the the Wolf ribs, which you can see in the photos below.

Anyhow, here's a progression of how things have gone for the last few months, this might be interesting, or it might be a lot like looking at someone else's vacation slides:

Cutting gussets for the -S wing ribs:
TIoClDN.jpg

WUx5nZe.jpg

a4FDpKG.jpg

Routing nose blocks for the -S ribs:
cSqpwIS.jpg

TtQ5S3s.jpg

Gluing up -S ribs on a nail based jig:
nabnvjJ.jpg

A jig for the center ribs, these were tricky because they have an inner lip glued to one side of the rib:
Rs7lIrS.jpg

And the fun part, building the fuselage:
CEr3N6x.jpg

Tc5ms18.jpg

IUiktn1.jpg

gh780Hl.jpg

KTR5Ar8.jpg

dWM4FxE.jpg

h1yKRi4.jpg

3OFofFW.jpg

ZPJ7115.jpg

(this is the first "sitting in it" photo)
ojXmn71.jpg

ycK4JJb.jpg

Jigging the tail:
3924lxG.jpg

and the cabane struts, VR3 doesn't cope the cabane struts, they just saw cut to length. The jigging and coping is taking a lot of work. This is the moment when I really realized how much time ordering coped tubing has saved.
VtvNVWT.jpg

What's next? The main fuselage structure is mostly finish welded, but the tail, rear diagonals, seat, and cabane struts are all just tacked right now. I need to finish the cabane construction, finish weld what's left, put in the horizontal tail bracing, build landing gear, and about one million other fuselage steps. Luckily, the measurements from the tailpost to the firewall corners only differ by 3/64", or something like that, so everything is pretty straight

The Wolf rib kit is nearing completion (I'm at 39 out of 40 ribs, and am about to begin on aileron ribs), and Chris Murley should have some spars for it soon.

This is about 300 hours worth of work, although I've had help for a lot of it, and there are two different full sets of wing ribs in there, so I don't think my hour count is useful to anyone else. I did an EAA inspection around 150 hours, and should really do another one soon.

Latest posts

Back