• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Another Skybolt restoration gets kicked into gear (again)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdharfst

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
Let me introduce myself and give you some background info.
I'm a long time lurker but haven't posted here before.
I've flown for 50 years and built a Glastar 20 years ago that I still maintain and fly.
For a 2nd project I purchased a disassembled Skybolt 15 years ago that already had 150 hrs on the hobbs meter.
5 years of work got most of the subsystems rebuilt.
However, because of work commitments, I had to park the project at the back of the hangar for a decade.
Now that I'm retired I've restarted the project.
Considering the fabric is 40+ years old I've decided to recover the plane, essentially making it a ground up restoration.
I'm considering some of the options I will have to make changes once the plane is bare.
I've read a lot of the discussions here and talked to people over the years.
I would like to crowdsource some thoughts, experiences and advice here.
I'll ask forgiveness ahead of time for any redundancy to past discussions here.
I've already answered a lot of my questions by reading extensively here.
What's left is what I didn't find, didn't provide what I wanted or isn't current.

A few details of the plane:
  • 1st flight 1978, last flight about 2000
  • one piece upper wing, clipped to 22 ft by the 2nd owner
  • Upper wing tank
  • hinged plexiglass canopy
  • 0-540 engine with a pressure carb, zero hrs SMOH
  • inverted fuel and oil system
  • smoke system
  • 2-blade CS prop
  • Older shorter std gear with bungees
Some questions:
  • I've talked to people that like the grove gear legs but it seems the drift here is that they aren't worth the effort? Thoughts?
  • Is it better to go with fuel injection instead of fussing with a pressure carb?
  • Is it really feasible to change a one piece wing to a three piece wing and is it worth the trouble? Anyone with experience at this?
  • I like the T3 tailwheel system on my Glastar better than the old spring gear. Anyone here try this conversion?
I have more but this is a start.
Thanks in advance.
Mike H

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back