• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

N645LC Endless Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, you know the drill, I type too much, so I'm just gonna start a thread of all my thousands of questions about living with a new-to-me Charger.

Let's start with wire tension.

Ignoring the wing wires for the moment, I noticed that the tail wires are pretty loose and floppy, compared to the Champ. Ed doesn't mention anything about rigging tension, other than going for a "deep tone" on the wing wires (with no mention at all of the tail wires). The Champ wires have a nice tone to them, at a guess somewhere around the G string on the cello, where the Charger wires are well below the range of the lowest string on a bass. Is it reasonable to compare the two planes like this, or are they completely different beasts?

I don't know if these wires are vibrating in flight or not, I haven't rigged a mirror or a camera to look at them, and can't turn far enough around to look when I'm flying. They seem too loose, but they also wouldn't have changed with changing humidity, unlike the wing wires.

Closely related, anyone know knowledgable folks in the Seattle area who might be willing to watch over my shoulder as I mess with rigging? I can probably find people through my EAA chapter, but figured I'd ask here as well.

Latest posts

Back