• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pitts Horizontal Tail Corrosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had the fuselage blasted and I epoxy primed all. Very limited surface rust so it was a surprise to find a bunch of holes in the aft spar on the horizontal on the outboard end. The sandblasting was supervised and expert done, so something else had to be going on. I just directed the tube and much of it has pitting corrosion internal, on what I beleive is the lower side. The tube appeared to be plugged beyond where the stub spar slides in. Turned out that the plug was a cork!

The plane is an early Homestead built by the gang down there. Would this be a common way to seal the tube? I don’t see indication on the plans, so is this normally just open on one end? The rudder and elevator appear open and are not corroded. I can hear material rattling in the opposite stab too so I’m thinking I have the same issue. Going to try to replace both if I can extract the tube without destroying everything else.

1685809955133.jpeg

Latest posts

Back