• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

S1 fuselage build question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

at7000ft

Reaction score
Hello guys, this is my first post. Am building an S1 from the Steen S1-C plans (and S1-SS wings), have the tail parts done and would like some advise from any Pitts fuselage builders concerning the high level build sequence.

My last plans built project included a fuselage with vertical sides and was built sides first, sides were stood up vertically upside down and the horizontal pieces added. Am reading a book "Construction of Tubular Steel Fuselages" by Russo that specifies a better method is top and bottom first, the top is fixtured above the bottom (with a particle board piece with 4 holes for the 4 longerons at the firewall position), and the side pieces added. Since the Pitts does not have vertical sides it looks like a better method to me.

Any opinions or links to posts/articles from Pitts fuselage builders would be appreciated.

Rick in Colorado

Latest posts

Back