• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

TIG vs. Gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyJ

Reaction score
Hi Fellas:

I'm new here, so of course I'm going to jump right in with what is probably a dumb question. Be kind.

I've just recently discovered the joy of flying, and have decided to build a Skybolt. Since my business doesn't leave me the sort of time to build from scratch, I've been looking for a partly/mostly finished project to complete. There are a number out there, and every airframe I've found has been gas welded. Why not TIGed?

This comes as quite a shock to me, as I have spent many years fabricating chassis and suspension components for race cars and the only time I ever gas welded one was to repair crash damage for a racer trying to make the main show.

Is gas welding superior to TIG for airframes? If it is, why? When I finally track down a project I'm hoping I can complete construction using methods I'm familiar with, and not have to re-learn a skill I always thought was somewhat arcane and archaic...

Thanks for your patience! BTW, what a wonderful resource this page is. I'm so glad I found it.

Tom J

Latest posts

Back