• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

450 Stearman

pigpenracing

Reaction score
It’s kinda cool but Stearmans are supposed to be 2 seat open cockpit

Dana

Reaction score
Looks like the love child of a Stearman and a Spezio, with Starduster spats thrown in. The fuselage is kinda neat, but the wingtips just look... wrong.

TFF1

Reaction score
What it needs is a vintage airshow paint job. Big lettered name of pilot written inverted down the fuselage.

tdwrv8

Registered Users
Reaction score
I am puzzled by the invisible flying wires

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That’s the damnedest landing gear I’ve ever seen on a Stearman!! Project? Why are all the ailerons drooping?

toobuilder

Reaction score
I'm guessing the wings were just thrown on for a picture. That would explain the drooping ailerons and missing flying wires.

Not a fan of the gear, turtledeck/canopy or wingtips

cerobinson

Reaction score
Note the spades, 4 ailerons, clipped wings, canopy, lighter landing gear
6TS.jpg
266TS.png
Cliff Robinson 5759 lo-res.jpg
and other mods. Bill said it would do a full vertical roll then fly away on top. I currently fly a 450 he built up with some of those mods but still standard category.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
The airplane is being sold with the trailer. That’s shown in the background of one of the photos I posted.

It obviously was just put together for a photo. The controls aren’t hooked up and the flying wires aren’t installed. I haven’t written the owner but that all makes sense to me if it regularly was placed in a specialized rig and taken to shows overland.

toobuilder

Reaction score
I'm guessing that thing is too far gone to turn it back into a more normal looking Stearman? At least from an economic standpoint.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There's plenty of Stearman carcasses around to spend money on. Best leave this one be.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you could make it just like all the others. You probably wouldn't even notice you flew the wrong one home from Oshkosh till the next annual. :D Guess its just me, but I thought it looked like a hell of a lot of fun the way it last flew.

toobuilder

Reaction score
Well, IMHO, a Stearman is a classic shape not to be messed with too much. There are plenty of AG Cats around if you want to do something weird.

ndlakesdreamer

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion and an ... Personally I like the canopy (of course I would I live in the tundra) while the gear looks pretty funky. I could live with funky if he gave me the project. :)
Dale

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the proud owner of a Tu-holer I love it. There are enough look alike PT17's. I prefer the aircraft in reply #11 but wouldn't mind owning the white one although it would soon be 50% red......and look carefully at the gear.:D

flyboy0890

Registered Users
Reaction score
That canopy is a cool look. Looks Gee Bee Z-ish. Me personally I think turning it back into a stocker would be sorta like restoring Jimmy Franklin's Waco back to stock or Duane Cole's Tcraft back to original.

Latest posts