• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Acrosport II Purchase Continued

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrowe1

N6XL
Reaction score

This is to update where I am and how things have been going with N6XL.
To date I have over 65 hours in my plane, and other than the Maule tail wheel failure, its been a blast. I lostover two monthsgetting the repair completed but now is done, I have wasted no time getting back topracticing and playing barnstormer.
I feelthat the change to the Matco T-8 wail wheel was a greatimprovement from the Maule, ithas better feel and I have notseen any shimmy since I made the change, for the price I don't know if you can do much better.
I am now working on theentry levelmaneuvers, and feel comfortable being able to control or get out of a spin if needed. I need only one to one and a half revolutions to get out of a spin,and it has never gonepast two revolutions.
I always thought from a young age that this was the type of flying Ialways wanted to do, feel the wind in your face, see the unobstructed view of the world from theopen cockpit, and dancingaround the clouds like they were the pylons at the Red Bullrace. I can't believe that I am actually getting to do this and can do it anytime the weather permits!

If I was able to change anything about my journey it would be tohave been to receivemore training before I made the purchase and found someone to work with me after the purchase so the I didn't try and train myself as much as I did.
I was lucky that I didn't make any big mistakes that could have resulted inMajor damage to my plane or myself during myinitial learningcurve. (I am still in the learning mode now).
I amin one of the best areas that you can be for flying yearround, with an average temp inDecember and January of almost 70 degrees, I get to enjoy flying now where most guys in open cockpit planes are waiting for spring to arrive.
I hope to find a parachute in the near future, this is the onesafety items that Iam missing as far as equipment goes.

The best advice that I have been shown or told of so far is to "Fly the plane and don't let the plane fly you around" Stay ahead of the plane and power will get you out of trouble more than get you into trouble.

I hope that someone who might be on the fence about building or purchasing a Biplane will read what I have been going through and take the plunge, it will give you some greatest life experiences that will last you for your entire life.
I told my wife it's the most fun a guy can have with his clothes on, and I hope to keep learning and having a blast.

Don Crowe

Latest posts

Back