• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Considering buying a Starduster Too

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here poking around for some information. I was browsing barnstormers and found some pretty cool SAs and I am seriously considering making a purchase. I currently own an RV-6 but I am hoping to get something with more speed (Lancair or Glasair maybe?) but I would also like to have a cool weekend flyer as well. Living in SoCal, I feel like there are few days that flying open cockpit up and down the coast doesn’t seem like a dream come true. I am still on a steep side of the learning curve of all the configurations with these planes and as a 0 time biplane guy, would love to hear any input or thoughts from someone with more knowledge of these airframes.

A quick background of flight experience.
Private pilot SEL with about 250 hours. About 80 hours in my RV-6 taildragger. Also flown cubs and citabrias a bit.

The information I’m really hoping to get some feedback on:

How difficult it is to land these birds? (Taps vertical fuel gauges flashing red) I know visibility is, well, peripheral only.

Insurance issues?. I was surprised at how much the insurance on my RV-6 is. Just came up for renewal and was quoted $1800. Thought it would be a little cheaper and I am wondering how different a SA would be for an annual premium. Maybe slightly harder to fly but hull value is significantly less. The big reason I don’t want to jump into a lancair is the 10k premium but maybe I need to shop around more.

Engine selection. The specific bird I’m looking at has the 0-540. Defiantly a thirsty version of the SA but since I’m only going to do weekend coastal flying I don’t really care.

Prebuy. Anything specific I should be on the lookout for? I’m still sorting out the landing gear configurations but I am aware it’s a focus point on these machines.

All (useful) feedback is appreciated!

Latest posts

Back