• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Aircraft Spruce tubing kits...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying4food

Reaction score
Hello, A question for those of you who have welded/are welding your own fuselage. Im just a few weeks away from ordering some 4130 tubing to start welding my S1 fuselage. Im building the jig table based on dimetions in the Steen plans I have, but will be ordering some Aviat plans prior to actual construction.
Anyway, was wondering if anyone else went this route? Im fortunate to live within an hour drive of Aircraft Spruce and they quoted me $850 FOB for a complete fuselage tubing package( no sheets, just tubes, presumably 12' lengths). Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? Im sure there are other companies selling 4130 cheaper, but Im wondering if shipping would kill the value.
So if you ordered a complete tubing package, did you get a better deal?
One last related question, is there a BOM or materials list of any kind published for an S1 fuselage? I cant find one, just have to rely on Aircraft Spruce, or make a guess from the Steen plans.
Thanks,
-Mark

Latest posts

Back