• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Another Barn Find

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Adamson

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday my friend Robbie pulled a local icon from the barn.
John Z built his Starduster Too after being inspired with the original which he got to sit in at Rockford, Ill. He finished his dream plane in 1973 but like so many it was beyond his flying capability and spent its time in the back of the hangar. I heard about the plane when I arrived in Arkansas and got to peek at it thru the window 33 years ago. John and I became friends thru our mutual interest in Stardusters.

John was a hot rod guy with a perfection for the "look". The plane was covered in Ceconite and finished with dope. A product he could hand rub like his cars finished in lacquer. The interior is a metalflake vinyl like seen in a 50's soda shop. The engine and prop were new in '73 and have less than 100 hours.

John passed away a couple years ago and the family is getting around to settling the estate.

John in 1300S.JPG

John Z1.JPG

John Z2.JPG

Left the wings on for transport as he didn't have far to go and we have combines with headers wider than this going down the road around here.
The plane will probably be parted out.

Latest posts

Back