• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Any Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 owners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was cruising around Barnstormers, and came across a factory 2T-1A-2 for $74k down in the LA area, and it got me to thinking. From what I have read, the Great Lakes has many of the attributes I like about the Champ, though obviously it's in a different class. But I've been keeping my eyes out for the possible next step into a biplane while I build my Charger, and the GL looks like an interesting possibility.

I'd love to find one to try on for size (there are three in Washington, two with registered addresses near enough to be in easy flight range), and I'd love to hear owners' reports about flying qualities, landing difficulty, cockpit size (I'm a relatively long-limbed 6'1"), known issues or maintenance hassles, etc. I figured I'd ping here, since the owners of N22LB or N707RM might be around, but I also figure there must be a few GL fans among our regular members. I've read Budd Davisson's report on the GL (Great Lakes 2T-1A), and done some poking around here, but the search function is currently inop, which makes it harder.

What I'm interested in is mostly a plane that's fun to fly, without much of a focus on acro (if I had an acro-capable plane, I might change my mind on this, but I'm not an adrenaline junkie, and haven't particularly enjoyed the acro I've experienced). I'm not looking for a hot performer, just a low-and-slow cruiser that doesn't raise my heartrate every time I think about landing or ground handling. 90 HP and an acre of wing, with big marshmallow oleo gear, are what I'm used to right now. :D

Any thoughts or knowledge appreciated.

Latest posts

Back