Anyone know this Acrosport II?

Discussion in 'Acrosport' started by aobt14, May 19, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating:

1. May 19, 2018 #1

aobt14

aobt14

aobt14

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

As the title states, does anyone know anything about this bird? My friend is interested in it and if I do recall correctly it was for sale last year by the same owner. Apparently it is missing all engine logs prior to 1997. How would that affect the price and would you all pass on the plane because of it?

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 9.12.32 PM.png

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Pipcub08 likes this.
  2. May 19, 2018 #2

Neil

Neil

Neil

Don't know anything about the airplane but you couldn't buy the air frame materials for that price. The engine is said to be an A4A which is a carburetor engine so what type of injection does it have? What entries are in the existing engine logs? Was it rebuilt in 97 and does the existing log book reflect what was done? I ask this because I recently rebuilt an engine for a friend and the log books were so bad they didn't even fit the engine. I simply created a new EXPERIMENTAL Lycoming 360 log book with all the correct part numbers and reconditioning work that was done. The new log noted that the engine was similar to the O360 A4A but with a 15psi. fuel pump and PS5C pressure carb.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  3. May 19, 2018 #3

aobt14

aobt14

aobt14

Unknown about the injection, but the first entry reads, "No engine logbook was received with aircraft, however, previous owner states that this engine (IO-360) has approx 18-20 hr SMOH..........Total Time Unknown." Entry dated 6/18/97.

4. May 19, 2018 #4

GT74

GT74

GT74

Registered Users

I looked at it last fall. If you search the biplaneforum archives you will see it was bought cheap and rescued from a barn in Oregon or Washington. In my opinion the fabric was rough and the fact that there were no engine logs was a deal breaker. When it would be my turn to sell it I would have to answer the same questions about the engine.

5. May 19, 2018 #5

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

How long do you want to own it and what depreciation can you have? Airplanes are terrible investments. Now that plane is at the low end so like low end planes, you have low end buyers. Most are just cheap; the one who sees the absurdity of how cheap it is will buy it. Engine logs on a bottom end( not knocking the plane) is not a deal breaker. Logs are not biblical documents. You can have the best engine with no logs and the worst engine with stellar logs. Buying a plane like this is all about what you can grade; it is either a deal for you or not. Now a $200,000 plane with no logs is a whole different thing.

Defenseman1 and RickRice like this.
  6. May 19, 2018 #6

aobt14

aobt14

aobt14

Could you post a link to the thread?

7. May 20, 2018 #7

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

I believe this is the one you're looking for. Flew from near Bellingham Wa., just below the Canadian Border.
    As I recall it was an 0-360 converted to FI.

http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?t=7710

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    aobt14 likes this.