• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

BD-5 for sale

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw that. Interesting, I bought a 1973 kit at an estate sale for $350. Sold off the wheels tires brakes, instruments, nosecone. Sold the rest to a fellow in Korea for about a thousand. Had to drive it to Portland to ship it. There is a complete plane with engine for sale near here for $5000 with a enclosed trailer. Has flown. At Arlington this year there was a fellow with his partial build on display, but it has been upsized to a two place. I tried selling him a canopy, too small, said he has 7 of them. They are everywhere. I talked to Maurice, a fellow from Vancouver BC that has 1000 hours in his. 2 deadsticks in the pattern. Bud Davidson has a good pirep on them. But I don't want one.

will

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone know anyone at the Leeward air ranch here in Ocala Fl. ? I would like to find someone that has space for rent , thanks
Donald
Start a new thread. Don't hijack an existing thread. Thank you.

hpapilot

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a complete plane with engine for sale near here for $5000 with a enclosed trailer. Has flown.
Hey Will, any chance you have contact info for the complete airplane for sale? I'm curious... it's one of those bucket-list airplanes...

RJ

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was on the snohomish Wa craigslist. The ad had expired by the time I went for it. I was going to sell it to a fellow I know overseas and get a cut for putting it in a container and doing the work for him. Have at it. I have too many other things going on. When I look for something on CL I look at "all of craigslist" The one larry mentioned is listed in 4 states. Also too much money. I could also tell you how to get in contact with the fellow at Arlington that is building a 2 place, he probably knows about it as it is based at Arlington. PM me.

will

Dennis5678

Registered Users
Reaction score
Jim Bede was ahead of his time in aeroplane design. Bad businessman.
If he had access to the engines we have today the whole BD-5 would
have had different ending.
Also Larry that BD-5 looks more like a gate guard than a wind tee

Last edited:

TFF1

Reaction score
The problem too with the BD-5 was it took some knowledge to put together. For a scratch builder, no big deal. They are no RV Kit. If you have ever messed with the rivets that came in the kit, a non experienced builder would not know option. They sucked; it's like they made a pop rivet out of a pellet gun pellet. Drawn aluminum shells, no holes no nothing. It would be fun to build as long as you were not fixing others mistakes.

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An outfit in Oregon makes a jet kit, very pricy. The landing gear attachment is usually shorted in the, at least, early kits as was the drive shaft. A fellow in Minnesota makes an improved shaft. I think $2500.

will

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Bede was ahead of his time in aeroplane design. Bad businessman.
If he had access to the engines we have today the whole BD-5 would
have had different ending.
Also Larry that BD-5 looks more like a gate guard than a wind tee
You might say a better businessman than a airplane designer? After all he managed to sell a lot of useless airplanes?

Airplane w/o viable engine is a BAD design!

Other aircraft maybe a better example of his ability?

Jack

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Jack, man of little faith. Seriously check out airbum on the pilot report section.

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepBD-5.html

This should change anyone's mind. As I mentioned before I meet a Canadian fellow at Arlington this year. He has a thousand hours in his and loves it. And he survived to be an old man, probably older than Larry.

will

TFF1

Reaction score
The problem with Bede is he got overrun so fast. The BD4 WAS pretty much the first kit plane. BD5 hit the market and peoples grandmothers were buying kits. He could not say no until it was too late. He got burned with investors with the BD1. The dumped him had the plane certified and turned it into the Grumman AA1.

Latest posts