• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beejs blog. Stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

<TD vAlign=top>Engine mount finally coated...

Engine mount/Landing gear
The engine mount was finally coated about three weeks back. The finish was so nice, [not to mention convenient, that someone else was doing it instead of me painting it] that I have decided on powder coating the fuselage. The price is right - the finish, awesome.

Sheet Metal Attach
I decided to go with strips for sheet metal attach points. I added a bunch of lightening holes. These things took forever to align for welding...

Stringers
Awhile back, I had decided to bring the sheet metal to the rear of the rear pit. At that time, I madenew formers to match the continuity line of the turtledeck. This unfortunately made all the stringer stand off attach points mis-aligned - they all required a redux :0| the dominoe effect of a seemingly simple decision change never ceases to amaze me..

I was initially using aluminium screen door frame material for stringers, trouble is, some of my stringers need cut-outs for tube members, as soon as I attempted to cut out a stringer, it was obvious that the integrity of the alum' box went to crap. So, I moved over to spruce [5/16 x 7/8]. The spruce has just arrived, so I will be tackling that job next.

Having seen the end results of my recentlycoated engine mount, I am desparate to get the fuselage coated for another pick-me-up and to complete a significant milestone.I have been steadily going around the fuselage finishing off lots of welding ofbits n bobs, each week I get closer to that milestone. However, there is still aways to go before coating....

Sheet metal attach strips...

Setting stringer stand-offs...

Latest posts

Back