• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beringer Wheels and Brakes weight trade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VH-ASF

Reaction score
There are some big claims for weight savings on Beringer wheels and brakes. All the Red Bull guys are swapping out their Groves claiming 3kg (6.6lbs) saving with Beringers! I decided to run a trade for an 'Experimental Pitts S2B'.

The S2B uses a couple of 40-78B 500x5 wheels and 30-9 brakes from Cleveland (totalling 11.94lbs verified on calibrated scales). If I use 6 ply Air Hawk tires (lightest tire for the S2B I can find), they are 8.6 lbs total. Tubes are just over a pound each.

Grand total = 22.73lbs

The Beringer JA-002 and EA006 brakes are the lightest 500x5's they offer and match or slightly better the static rating, limit load and torque baseline of the aforementioned Clevelands. A pair weigh 8.7lbs, representing a 3.24 lb saving over the Cleveland wheels and brakes... Now, if I add the lightest tubeless 500x5 aviation tyres I can find (5.94lb 8 ply Michelins, totalling 11.88lbs), the Beringers represent negligible weight saving.

Grand total = 20.58lbs

Does anyone know of any 6ply tubeless 500x5's that would enable a higher saving?

Cheers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back