• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Big boy needs cheap fun

Mark e

Reaction score

<div style=": -1; :; top:0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 250px;">Hey, I know I have threerequirementsthat pull indifferentdirections like a ugly vector diagram. :) But I am 6'2", and 250 lbs. and have teens to spend on something fun. Most things with the words mini or baby in them just won't work as either I can't shoe horn myself in or W&amp;B doesn't work... Skybolts andstar-dustersaretypicallyabove my budget... If anyone knows of something flying for sale that fits myrequirementsplease let me know. Thanx

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Sometimes an Acro Sport II or Starduster will turn up in the under 20K price range. The AS design has been flown with pilots in the 260 range. I was there, cut out french fries and I'm down to 230 and falling.
Be careful, you tend to get what you pay for.
Edited by: Neil

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
EAA biplanes are built for larger pilots, and can be had quite inexpensively. Check www.barnstormers.com to find them. I've seen several for sale recently.

Danny

Mark e

Reaction score
While I know every sample is a littledifferent, I tried on a EAA last week and I could not pull the stick all the way back without smashing my junk, and that was with the pads out. The only small homebuilt I have tried on thatactuallyfit has been aFly Baby.

N95334

Registered Users
Reaction score
wow, that is strange. Maybe the EAA bipe was modified to fit a small builder/pilot. You can always build a new stick with a curve to fit. Try a Pitts S-1 with the 3 inch longer
ewer fuselage, you will be suprised. The Acro Sport single seater has lots of room too.

Mark e

Reaction score

<div style=": -1; :; top:0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 250px;">well the owner is a smallish woman, so maybe, if everything else had been right with it I would have bought it and had a stick welded up that would work. So, yes, the right EAA bipe might work...<div style=": -1; :; top:0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 250px;">
<div style="display: n&#111;ne; background-image: url(chrome-extensi&#111;n://cccpiddacjljmfbbgeimpelpndgpoknn/img/cursor.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; positi&#111;n: fixed; z-index: 1000; width: 20px; height: 20px; background-positi&#111;n: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">

jpaulthepilot

Reaction score
Mark, would you be interested in a Hiperbipe? It is still a project, but you could have it flying before Sun "n Fun pretty easily.

Mark e

Reaction score
I would have been till I realized that I need to stay Light Sport.

Mark e

Reaction score
The usual story, minor healthissuethat does not affect me one bit would require pages of paperwork andsupportingevidence from primary care doctor,blahblahblah. I could get my medical renewed but it would be SO mucheasierto just fly LS.I was about to buy something that was not LS when I really looked into it, glad I did....

littletootpilot

Registered Users
Reaction score

mike check out the little toot biplane.

it falls under lsa and most of us flying them are 200 plus i know of a guy that was 300 that flew the toot. if you build one you can get it in the lsa without and problem. check out littletootbiplane.com

and talk with tommy meyer you will be happy with it.

thanks james

Latest posts