• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Bought a Monoplane....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patric_L

Registered Users
Reaction score
2 weeks ago my Father, my Girlfriend and I bought a monoplane....but it's a nice one and should also be accepted by the biplane community :cool:

In addition to our Pitts S-1S we purchased a Piper PA-18 95 that was for sale not far away. Classic airplane without Starter, Alternator or Xponder, but with some history.

Built as an L-18c she was delivered to the US Army, then went to the French Air Force and after retirement from military use she went into civilian hands in Germany as a PA-18. Changed owners over the year...nothing special except one guy that owned here twice between 75-81, a crazy guy without a licence (he lost it in the early seventies for dangerous flying). He used this airplane for illegal visits from Germany to East Germany (crossed the border wall many times) and smuggled people from East Germany to the west.
On his last trip he got attacked by a Russian military Helicopter, crossed the border with many holes in the right wing :eek:
On the ground in Germany he got caught be the police and went to prison, the airplane has been chained down for a couple of years.
After a few years it was allowed to purchase the airplane and get her airworthy again (complete rebuild)..she went to a cute couple that flew her for almost 30 years until we bought her 2 weeks ago.

Now the Cub is in our hangar. Looking good for 30 years since rebuild, guess she will do a couple more years until we need to recover her. She'll be my girls first tailwheel airplane and for my father and me it's pure cheap fun airplane. Looking forward to some trips with my girlfriend to other airports...funny times ahead :)

Regards
Patric

20180311_133414.jpg

20180320_115302.jpg

20180311_112357.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

Latest posts

Back