• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cabon monoxide / Open cockpit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpin

Reaction score
At the end of the last season, I live in New England and we definately have a season for open cockpit flying, I closed off the front hole and thought I noticed the smell of exhaust fumes. Now that the open cockpit season has begun I again notice the smell of exhaust fumes. I purchased a very sensitive and acurate personal CO monitor. Right after start up the meter reads 50 PPM once in the air it is reduced to 18 PPM. Both of these figures are too high for my likeing. I believe closing the front hole has added to the problem and maybe actually created it. Regardless this aircraft was flown to Texas and Back with tht front hole covered and I do not believe anyone would have flown for 6 to 8 hrs per day with a CO of 18PPM. So asked what else is different. Answer the prop. A three blade Catto has been installed since the TX trip. A call to Catto confirmed that the three blade acro prop definately changes the airflow over the fusalage. So now what? Oh by the way the exhaust is good and the firewall is without holes. The fumes are either entering from the top, gear legs or wing roots. No other holes in the belly. The exhaust pipes are bleow the belly by about 4 to 6 inches. I wounder would an angled cut at the open end of the pipes make any difference. I could extend them but how far? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ken

Latest posts

Back