• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Can you help ID these wings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying4food

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
My name is Mark, I am a new member here and just getting started on my Pitts S1 project. My original plan was for a S-1SS, but was recently given the opportunity to get my hands on a set of "D" wings at a very reasonable price. Since the aircraft will primarily be used for Sunday fun and possiblly race at Reno, the "D" wings fall nicely into my plans.

Now, more to the point of this post, the big caveat for getting the wings for the price of the bearings and bellcranks, is they are of unknown origin!

I was hoping by posting some pictures of key features, someone here may have an idea of what kit was used, therefore help to date them. They are clearly kit built, judging by the machine cut plywood parts. I have not yet measured the grain slope on the spars, but it appears to be excellent.
If it is any help, the only history I have is that these were purchased on Ebay from a widow in FL some time ago. The fuselage they were with was reported to be from the Pitts factory. I dont believe these are factory wings, the materials are excellent, but the build quality is very good, not perfect.
I will attatch detail images in the next few posts, any ideas as to origin or age that any of you might have, even guesses, would be apreciated.
Thanks,
-Mark
20101128_064830_wings.jpg

Latest posts

Back