• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Close to pulling the trigger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
I'm close to ordering "early bird" plans for the Hatz Bantam. www.hatzbantam.com

I MUST have a radial engine. That's my #1 criterium. Mark Marino emailed me yesterday and said that, though his site lists the R2800 as an option, he really thinks it's too heavy and would cut into the useful load to an unacceptable extent. Instead, he suggested a Verner Scarlett 5 radial: www.flydiver.com The same 120 hp as the Jabiru at the same RPM and only 9 pounds heavier.

I can envision it with a tightly-cowled engine with groovy cowl bumps and everything. Right now the engine isn't much of a deal (though cheaper than the Jabiru) since the dollar is in a flat spin, but when that turns around the Czech-built Verner should be a great deal.

I could probably even get them to build one with the reduction gearbox to sling a little longer club....but then, that would mess up the weight again.

I can feel the pressure on the trigger.....

Latest posts

Back