• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Counterbalance in elevators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocTim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello

Thank you for the replyabout the tail brace wires. I did speak withSteen Aeroand itcan be a 2-3 month wait.

Not wanting to wait to link up thepushrods for the elevators I got some 1/4 inch rod,cut them to lenght andthreaded the ends. Thenusingthe clevis forks that were slated for the rudder pedals theflying wires for the Stablizer were fabricated .Now I was able to fit and square the stablizer and the elevators.

Very much relieved to see that there was enough room between the upperlongerons and control horns of the elevators. Everything appears to move freely. What a thrill it wasto nowhave some moving parts on this project!

My question is that currently the weight of the elevator thatis felt on the Joystickis heavy, this makes sense for the elevator is heavy.I know thereare provisions to place weight to counterbalance the elevators. However in the Biplane Forum Skybolt manualin the Reminder section it says "no lead counterbalance in the elevators"

Ithink the dynamics of flight ,airflow, slipstream or what ever will lighten the control force imputbutwhat are the pros and cons of balancing the elevators ? What has your experience taught you?Shouldit be saveweight or have lighter controls?

Thank you

Tim

Latest posts

Back