• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Decals for wings/tail "Sunburst"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly5g

Back in the S-1S gang
Reaction score
I've spoken to a couple of paint shops about painting the white sunburst rays on the top surfaces of the wings and tail, on my red Pitts S-1S. They've both suggested that decals will be a LOT cheaper and easier to do, given no requirement for masking etc. The picture showing the red and white Pitts is what I mean by sunburst and is what I'm looking to achieve.

I applied the fuselage decals myself (photo attached) and although it was a very steep learning curve, the end result is ok. My concern with the wings though is that there are a lot of compound curves in the fabric, due to the ribs etc and the inherent problems therefore of keeping the rays in a straight line. Also maybe there would be a difficulty in getting all the air bubbles out.

Has anyone used decals for their sunburst and if yes, is this a good way to go and what are the top tips? :)

Thanks

P

Jack LB branded 23.11.2012.jpg

Great Sunburst 2.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back