• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Die Spring Gear Fail Safes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score

My A&P/IA stopped by my hangar yesterday to look over my Acrosport II for a condition inspection. This was his first time seeing the airplane, and I told him to be picky, since he and I will be doing aerobatics in it. Anyway, he noticed that I had die springs in the landing gear, instead of bungees. Apparently, he had never seen that system up close before. He then went into a landing story on his homebuilt Cub, that is equipped with bungees. He had a student that did a hard landing, and the bungee on one side broke. Luckily, there was a failsafe that prevented the gear leg from flopping all the way out. He did have to take over the controls, and set the airplane down very gently, but it was really a non-issue. He was just wondering if there was a similar failsafe with the die spring gear. Its not going to keep him from signing off on the airplane, it was just a question.
So, I got to wondering the same thing. It looked to me likeyou would have to actually breakone of the tie rods that the springs are on before the gear leg could flop all the way out. If one of the springs did break, it looks like the gear leg would just deflect a little further. I don't really see the spring failing badly enough for it to leave the tie rod, but I could be wrong. Has anyone seen any die spring gear failures? What happened?

Latest posts

Back