• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Die Spring Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gha111

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I asked about the gear width on my Super Acro 1. It was at 65 1/4" with considerable negative camber. A builder said the distance center of tire to center should be 70" so I jacked it up and took of the bungee struts with plans to extend them. The dist. bolt to bolt on the struts was the same after taking them off so it appeared they needed 1" to get the gear to 70". Then it was suggested the die springs from Wag. They say the springs are good to 2200 lbs, so my Acro at around 900 lbs., I made the die spring struts the 1" longer as I would have made the bungee struts. When I let the plane down, to my surprise, each die spring extended 1/2" on each end of the spring, 1" each. Now the gear is 72" center tire to ctr tire with a slight amount of positive camber. This of course is 2" more that is should be. Any ideas how it will effect handling? It appears the original length of the struts was correct and someone had put much too strong bungees not allowing the struts to expand with the weight of the plane and also making the landings very stiff and bouncy. Any thoughts will be appreciated

Latest posts

Back