• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Easy, Inexpensive ANR for Open Cockpit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Lund

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure the best place to post this, but I will put it here first for all of my Starduster Colleagues -

Perhaps someone else has already discovered this, but for me, it was one of those "why didn't I think of that before" ideas.

I have been flying my Starduster with David Clark passive headsets for about 17 years now. Although I like David Clarks, I have been toying with other ANR headsets without success in the windy open cockpit environment.

Well, the whole Apple Earbud technology has really improved over the past few years, and there are many knockoffs and even "better-than-Apple" alternatives out there, and many have ANR.

So I got myself a pair of Sony LinkBuds which have a built-in ANR circuit. About $130 I think. They come with different size ear fittings, and I use the tightest one. I just turn them on, put them in my ears, and then put on the David Clarks, and instant ANR. No wind problems at all. Battery life is about 2 hours before recharge, which fits pretty well with my normal mission.

I am surprised that no one is marketing this for aviation use. But be careful not to drop them into the bottom of your airplane when you take off your headset...

:)

Latest posts

Back