• Become a Subscribing Member today!

    The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

    The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

    Why become a Subscribing Member?

    • In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

    Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

    Subscribe Now

Electric Tail Dragger Tow Bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 14, 2007
Messages
3,422
Reaction score
3,266
Well for most of January welded on my friend Steve's Starduster Too, landing gear attach points bungee arm bumpers, and structure for sheet metal and gear doors, also Cessna rudder pedals rudder tail light bracket trim tab and lengthening the engine mount to 26". just a few 15 minute jobs, as we all know.

However back in December due to being an old guy and getting my Starduster Too out of my hanger that is up hill, I had been contemplating making/ building a tail wheel tail dragger. I have been able to push my airplane out of the hanger for yrs by myself. But the last several yrs it seems that its more up hill than in the past.

So I looked at several that were for sale, and decided to make one based on pictures of this yellow one to get some idea. I did not have any drawings and just guessed with the angles and arm. I used a transmission and the basic tube frame from an old rototiller. The wheels and a cordless two speed electric drill both from harbor freight, by cutting hacking and bending with a torch to what I thought was about the right angle and adding some tube bracing, and a mounting bracket most of the stuff is from my stash of tube and angle, some is 4130 and some is mild steel 1/8" angle. That and using the Scott tail wheel for the correct dimensions, and a bit of trial and a lot of error. Wa-La... The unit needs to be a little longer for more leverage, and changed the original fulcrum point, but all in all it works.

Not saying this is for every one, but spending less that $50 bucks along with some creative assembly of mostly junk it seems to have done the trick. Probably should have just bought one.
 

Attachments

  • Tail Dragger Dragger.jpeg
    Tail Dragger Dragger.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Tail Dragger Dragger 5.jpeg
    Tail Dragger Dragger 5.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Tail Dragger Dragger 6.jpeg
    Tail Dragger Dragger 6.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Tail Dragger Dragger 7.jpeg
    Tail Dragger Dragger 7.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0465 small.JPG
    SAM_0465 small.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0466 small.JPG
    SAM_0466 small.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0467 small.JPG
    SAM_0467 small.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0468 small.JPG
    SAM_0468 small.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0469 small.JPG
    SAM_0469 small.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0470 small.JPG
    SAM_0470 small.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0471 small.JPG
    SAM_0471 small.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0472 small.JPG
    SAM_0472 small.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top