• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Engine Anti-corrosion/moderate warmth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryM

Reaction score
I wanted to post what I currently do, and allow for your thoughts on pro/con. I have read the archives, and think that my situation may be a bit different, therefore, your opinion is much appreciated.

I live in Northern Illinois, where the winter temps are usually warm enough to be humid, and fluctuate enough that condensation within buildings aren't unusual. I am fortunate to have a dry insulated hangar and have not had this kind of condensation. I also keep a ceiling fan on low to circulate air. I try to fly in the winter when ever conditions allow. Its an open cockpit and I'll fly as cold as about 25f. Of course, preheating is done all the time. Between flying, and now with temps of 30-45f I have been using a 150w pad heater. I leave it plugged in all of the time, and a sleeping bag on the cowl. As soon as the airplane is in the hangar after flying, I open the oil dip stick and leave it open until the next flight. With the heater on continuously, I have measured sump temperatures of 125-130F, and top of the case temperature of 80F. The hangar temps were max of 55F. This was the warmest observed this year. I also use 20% preservative oil. My thoughts of leaving the heat on all of the time, is that it should keep things drier, as the temperature is more stable... As a bonus, the engine will be ready when I am. I may fly twice a week, but then may go for more than 3 weeks without - never know....

Ok, now for the reality of the theory....

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back