• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

First Time Builder - Many Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwhallon

Reaction score

Hello,
This is my first time to the forum. I have spent the last month or so searching for airplanes and the Skybolt is the winner. It's a biplane, affordable, tandem, can perform aerobatics , can do "moderate" XC (I was looking at no more then 200nm skips) and from what I've read people seem to really like them. I've got a ride in local Skybolt Standard this weekend.
If all goes well, I plan to purchase an already fullyassembledmetal frame (which I think is universal between the Standard and Delta ). But before I go through with it, I have a "few" questions.

I'd like a copy of the POH and I can't seem to find one. Anyone have a link?
I'm thinking of the Skybolt Delta,specificallyfor the wing design. How much different does it perform from its standard brother?
Picking the engine: The primary mission of this aircraft is aerobatics. I need something that can handle -g's and invertedmaneuverswith ease. I'm a big fan of radial engines. Besides the M14 Russian, are there alternatives that will fit to a Standardair frame,specificallyones which have the US standard right rotation? I'm also considering a Lycoming<str&#111;ng style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Humanist, Helvetica, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">AEIO-540-D4A5. As for price, I'm not looking to drop more then 60k on a brand new engine.[/b]
Please offer any advice you think is good. Thank you very much. Sorry the post was a little long!

Edited by: Jwhallon

Latest posts

Back