• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flying Stardusters at higher weights and aft CG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Starduster Too and been doing my research. I have weight empty data on 12 airplanes averaging 1225 lbs. I have empty CG locations on 7 airplanes averaging 19.7 in. The CG variation is only about +- 1 inch. A weight and CG build up at averages finds the aircraft is at the aft limit with a 200 lb passenger and a 205 lb pilot (me) and full fuel. At minimum fuel, 8 gal, it is 1.2 in aft of the limit. If passenger and pilot are 170 lbs it is at the aft limit.

Do these averages sound right? If so it leads me to believe a lot of people fly heavy at the aft limit. If so, how does the plane behave on the ground and especially in spin recoveries? Are basic aerobatics at the aft limit an accident waiting to happen?

I weighed a potential purchase plane last week and it happen to come out nearly right on WE and CG average. I thought CG would be more forward with its extended engine mount, O-360 engine, const speed aluminum prop, and relatively basic interior and instrumentations. Its landing gear axels is 3.7 in aft of the firewall.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back