• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Four Aileron Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbmmoyair

Reaction score
On a Starduster One that we are rebuilding,I want to consider the possibility of converting from 2 to 4 ailerons. I can't tell you how many times people have come up to me looking at our other Starduster One and said "Its a shame it doesn't have 4 ailerons". I've looked at the wings that are almost ready for recover and it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to take away 2 bays on the inboard end of the lower ailerons and put upper ailerons in the outer 3 bays of the upper wings. That would make the lower ailerons about 41 inches long and the upper ones about 36 inches long.

I've heard of other people converting 2 to 4 ailerons on various planes. I also talked to a fellow with an EAA biplane that had 4 ailerons and he said stick force was hard with 4 ailerons. In fact, he had made the top ailerons fixed and used only the bottom ones when I saw his plane.

Obviously the incentive is for faster roll rate but I don't want to make it unstable or unsafe or hard to fly.

There are pics of the various Starduster ailerons (remember the curved Starduster wings) under a similar thread of the Aircraft Spruce Forum on Stardusters.

Can anyone offer any light on this subject? Is this too risky?

Latest posts

Back