• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Getting Ready to Pick it Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertsailor

Reaction score
Well lots of stuff happening in our lives since we recently purchased the Acrosport 11. My wife decided she was going to get her pilots license so my evil mind went into over drive. Can't have her learning on a tricycle gear if she's going to fly the Acrosport. Here in the Vancouver area its impossible to find a flying school that will teach basic flying on an aircraft with conventional landing gear so I found a place in North Carolina that teaches in a 7AC Champ, very experienced Instructor etc and the price was right so she leaves next weekend for an accelerated program as in flying 3 times a day and hitting the books at night. Wife'y is a smart cookie with a real good head on her shoulders so she'll deal with that OK. I'll fly down and catch the last part of her course in a couple of weeks and then we'll fly direct to Oklahoma and pick up the Acrosport and ferry it back to Canada. Its going to be a long ride as at this time of the year I really don't want to be mountain flying in an open cockpit aircraft and below zero temps. I've done that once in my life when I flew a Stearman from Winnipeg to Edmonton the end of January and that type of adventure/torture is no longer on my list of have to do's. We'll fly due west to California and then up the coast, turns a 1400 mile trip into almost a 2000 mile trip but its a much safer route at this time of the year. While I have several thousand hours in conventional gear its been almost 20 years since I've been really active in aviation so I jumped into a Citabria for an hour and everything felt fine; I'll do an other hour from the back seat and maybe catch a little backseat time with my wife in the little Champ before giving the Acrosport a run for it. Really looking forward to this little adventure. Several of the board members here have helped me a lot in dealing with this cute little bugsmasher, really nice bunch on this forum....Cheers, Robert

Latest posts

Back