• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Got my SA-100 home in the hangar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyboltone

Reaction score
I used a Penske 22' diesel truck to make the move. It rode like a grocery cart but there was lots of room and the price was astonishingly low. I cost $568 with no mileage charge for the six day rental. We returned it a day early---no refund sorry. We got about 8 miles to the gallon and spent in the neighborhood of $1000 on fuel. $400 on hotels.

We had the great misfortune to back in to a goofy plate glass sidewalk barrier at a McDonalds in Red Deer, Alberta. My friend was driving and just didn't have enough experience with full size trucks to make parking lot maneuvers. Oh well. The odd thing about it was that the wall had just been re-built after an identical mishap only 6 weeks ago. A new profit center at Micky Dee's. We'll see how the insurance works things out. A word to the wise; nobody intends to damage anything and I purchased the liability plan for the truck like I always do when renting vehicles, but for sixteen bucks a day I could have had full third party coverage on the glass wall at McDonalds. That's $96 for the six days instead of whatever the insurance companies charge my friend and I for deductibles. Apparently both his insurance company and mine are going co-insured on it. The sales person at the counter never mentioned it. It's a no brainer. Oh well.

So, she's sitting in the hangar with the wings sitting on couch cushions on the floor and all the fiddly bits in boxes all around. Like a dummy I didn't take pictures of the packed and ready to roll truck before unloading. We hung the wings on ratchet straps on the walls; 6 straps on the upper wing and 4 on each of the lowers. We slid Harbor Freight moving blankets under the straps and old couch cushions behind the wings up against the wall. We put one cross strap diagonally from top to bottom on each wing panel. There were small scraps of carpet under the diagonal straps where they broke hard around corners and at the bottom of all the wing panels. Nothing moved, even with that danged old bouncy truck. The main gear was chocked front and back and nylon strapped to hold downs lagged into the floor. Same deal with the tailwheel.

Not one bit of damage to anything either during the disassembly or subsequent 1650 mile road trip. We did that whole trip in two days up, one day to load, and two days back. I will NEVER do it again on such a tight schedule. To say I'm tuckered would be a gross understatement.

More later as the re-assembly begins.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back