• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Hello from Rocklin, CA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Unfortunately, I don't own an airplane and I'm not particularly skilled with my hands so I don't know if building anything is a good idea, but the thought is appealing. I'm a retired army pilot (helicopters and fixed wing) and currently an airline guy, but I have almost no GA experience. That means what little stick and rudder skills I once had are mostly gone! I want to get into flying outside of work, and I've always been interested in aerobatics. The only exposure I've had so far were 3 upset prevention/recovery courses with Aviation Performance Solutions in their Extra 300's. Those planes sure are fun to throw around, but my heart really belongs to biplanes.

My wife has no interest in flying at all, but my two young kids might have fun with it, given the chance. I'm thinking of buying a plane in the next few years (3 year wait list for a hangar) and I'm trying to honestly define the right "mission" for me. Definitely two seats, but the combination of acro vs. local sightseeing vs. $300 hamburgers or family visits up to Oregon is still unclear. I've got some time to figure it out, so I'll start by pouring through these forums and adding some good tailwheel training to my repertoire. I've also recently joined the local EAA chapter, but I've had to work every time they've met so far. I'll need to get that worked out, because I'm sure that will be a great experience for me too. Sorry for the long introduction post! I'm really looking forward to learning from all the experience in here. Thanks! -Derek

Latest posts

Back