• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

First Pitts Flight Today !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LETSJET

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally was able to get the first flight in N8WS this morning, it felt great to fly "my Pitts". Took awhile to get a new tire tube installed and change out the battery but once that maintenance was completed nothing left to do but go fly it. It flys as good as it looks and after a couple of rolls out west of Stead Airport it was back to Reno-Tahoe International. Actually had a nice landing but with 11,000' of runaway it was a long taxi back to the hangar. It's in a hangar at Stellar West which is the old Jet West here in Reno. I'm looking hard at getting in a hangar at Stead but no luck yet.

It's got a nice stratus transponder with ads-b in & out but the communications radio is an old MX11 which is a drop in replacement for the Narco com 10 I believe. The comm radio is really hard to hear so I'll try a Bose headset next flight but I'm assuming I need a higher watt com radio, any suggestions? And is my assumption correct that the MX11 is a poor radio to begin with ? Hopefully a different headset will allow me to hear better but I know it needs a new com radio sooner rather than later.

I've reached out for help and advice on the Pitts forum and I'm grateful for the responses. Other than a couple hours of touch and goes with Dennis Brown this month in his S-2A, it's been 24 years since I was in a Pitts!
A sincere Thank You to all the forum guys who have answered my questions, your experience is truly invaluable.
jet west.jpg

Latest posts

Back