• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

HO360 & PS5 won't cut off at idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleygaz

Reaction score
Hi. I have an HO360 in my Starduster with PS5 carb. The engine has had 1.5 hrs ground runs since major overhaul and the carb has been inspected and flow tested by Mike's at Tulsa. When I pull to idle at about 500-600rpm and pull mixture to idle cut off the revs drop to about 200 and then surge to about 600 / 700 then drop to 200 and surge again with no sign of stopping (I've let it do that maybe four or five times before switching off at the switch). I tried at 1000 rpm and it cut off dead straight away. I tried again with the throttle cracked just enough to get 800 rpm and it cut off dead straight away. It seems to only do it when the throttle is closed all the way to full idle at 500/600 rpm. Tried with electric pump on and off, no difference. Tried from idle and just a quick pump open and back to idle on the throttle, no difference. Go to rich, ease up to 800, go to cut off and it dies straight away. A&P I know who has worked on helicopters with HO and PS5 is stumped. Any ideas? Cheers, Gary N503CM

Latest posts

Back